Total Pageviews

Monday, April 21, 2014

Over the Phone

Sometimes (many times), life will hand you a Skype call and drama. What a lovely distraction.

Over the Phone


I sit in the room and stop
I hear the dial tone as he holds out the phone
Speakers come alive and the faint voices and noises spill
I hear, “You’re too far away”
He puts the phone to his ear and the voices are fainter
…”Hello?”
….…”What did you do?”
……….”You said I’m sorry, forgive me”
I listen intently and watch his face… still calm.
He continues to listen to the faint voice
"I said what? When?”... He looks to me and wonders why she would say that.
“Pass the phone to her”, he knows the strain is too much for someone in her condition
“What did she do?” His voice has lost the calmness, there’s a sense of urgency
He speaks through gritted teeth and faint breath
“Why didn’t you stop her?”...”WHAT DID SHE DO?!?”
I see him losing the thin sliver of patience, I’m surprised he lasted this long
”Okay. Pass the phone back”...
He waits and waits… he has regained himself, the worry is gone but…
He is quiet.
He speaks into the phone, gently… calmingly.
“You know your limit is three… Don’t cry…. Please drink some water.”
He is talking with his head tilted, one hand over it… a sign of distress.
“You cried in front of everybody…” I don’t understand the full context of the conversation
I wait for him to finish. He continues to hush and reassure.
A moment passes...
“Hello?”... the phone went silent.
He looks to me, “Did you hear all that?”
“I heard some of it… the rest I can guess.”
He looks a little defeated, resignation in his eyes.
I thought he was upset, but it’s more a look of confusion.
I look to him and ask, “How is she?”
“Sad.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts